WHAT WE DO
Each member of the Open Door Foundation is committed to enriching the quality of life for children residing in orphanages and care-homes. This commitment manifests itself in many ways – providing academic support with daily homework, ensuring proper healthcare and medical attention, providing meaningful and creative extra-curricular activities for the children, or fundraising for key essentials like food, clothing and shelter.
Each institution supported by the Open Door Foundation is overseen by a dedicated co-ordinator who works with the orphanage directors to identify the needs of the children and the institution. The co-ordinator then connects with volunteers in the area to match the requirements. Since our foundation in March 2011 (formerly as Orphanage Outreach Bangalore), we have worked with 7 orphanages in Bengaluru, and provided care to over 600 underprivileged children.
Our programmes are envisioned and executed by our volunteers – individuals from different walks of life, with varied skills sets who come together to enhance the experience of childhood for the children. Programmes are divided into four categories – Academics, Extra-Curricular Activities, Medical and Healthcare and Administrative Support.
Getting through school is no child’s play. As academic curriculums become more demanding, children need additional help in understanding the basics of subjects like math, science and languages.
The Open Door Foundation’s Academics programme is designed to help the children get through the basics of school by:
- Providing financial support for school tuition fees and essentials like uniforms, accessories, and books
- Delivering after-school tuition and remedial classes, either on a one-to-one basis or in small groups
- Setting up computer facilities and imparting computer-based learning and training
What is childhood without fun, games and learning new things? The Open Door Foundation’s Extracurricular Activities programme aims to create opportunities for fun and learning for the children by bringing various aspects of music, art, sport and learning into their lives. In short, providing life skills outside the classroom by:
- Delivering Yoga, Music, Art, Dance, Sport and any other form of extra-curricular classes
- Vocational Guidance, Mentoring
- Field trips
- Identifying and facilitating placements for children interested in trade schools in lieu of regular academics
Medical and Health Care
Early childhood healthcare is essential for children to grow and develop into healthy adults. Scarce resources at many child care homes often lead to neglect of basic healthcare like dental and eye checkups. The Open Door Foundation runs regular medical camps for children at the various orphanages and child care homes to ensure that the children are healthy for life. The medical camps provide:
- Preventive and Intervention treatments
- Dental Care
- Eye Care
- Medical check-ups to identify medical needs
- Provide counseling to children who might need additional support
The Open Door Foundation has also established partnerships with various pediatric hospitals, dental hospitals and eye-care centres which administer the post-medical camp care to the children.
Keeping an orphanage functioning is not easy. Resources are scarce and often institutions are under-staffed and overwhelmed by the monumental tasks that lay ahead of them. The Open Door Foundation aims to provide the orphanage management with the support they require to ensure the smooth functioning of the institution, thereby guaranteeing a better quality of life for the children. Our Administrative Support to Orphanages includes, among others:
- Legal support
- Admin and systems support for Orphanages
- Providing supplementary shelter, clothing, and food supplies
WHAT YOU CAN DO
At the Open Door Foundation, we aim to provide individuals with avenues through which they can best interact with and make a difference in the lives of children in orphanages and care homes. This could be in the form of:
- Volunteering with the various programmes currently executed in the various orphanages
- Financial support towards essentials like food, clothing and shelter, funding for tuition and computer skills, and for equipment for extracurricular activities.
- Making available expertise and skills within your network of contacts to improve the quality of life for the children.
Whatever extent of participation you wish to have, the Open Door Foundation will find the right opportunity for you to get involved and make a difference!